The 5 WORST Dog Foods | Dog Food & Dog Wellness | DogBoy's DogVlog
The 5 WORST Dog Foods | Dog Food & Dog Wellness | DogBoy's DogVlog
Our dog experts discuss what they view as the worst dog food brands on the market.
DISCLAIMER: DogBoy’s is passionate about a lot of things, and what we feed our dogs is up there at the top. So please be aware that the pet foods listed to be the worst in this vlog are our personal opinions from over 20 years of working with dogs.
Although we make a statement about how vets aren’t trained in behavior or nutrition, that doesn’t mean ALL veterinarians are ignorant in these matters. Heck, even my own doctor doesn’t give me advice about nutrition and he’s a gastroenterologist! Even since we’ve recorded this, we have learned more about how the way most every kibble is manufactured hinders your pup’s ability to digest the nutrients included, no matter how good they are.
If you’re curious about the food you feed your doggo, head on over to the unbiased website Dog Food Advisor (http://dogfoodadvisor.com/) for a no-nonsense breakdown and rating of almost every food out there. And if you want to explore what’s beyond kibble and canned foods, talk to our friends at Lucie’s Legacy (http://luciesfood4dogs.com/) and Rogue Pet Feed (http://roguepetfeed.com/) – who are leading the way for dogs’ nutrition both in Central Texas and around the world!
Like us on Facebook or Instagram:
Visit Us Today:
– Beneful…Not a great food. Back in the old days we used to… We’d watch dogs come in and judging on their hyperactivity or reactivity on leash, we would try to guess what kind of food the dog was eating.
– He could usually 90% guess what food that dog was on.
– And so Purina. Purina is not a very good dog food. They’re trying to get better, but still they use a lot of cheap fillers. Their number one ingredient is corn. It would be like if you ate Taco Bell everyday.
– Pedigree was one of the early on dog foods. Pedigree and Alpo, foods like that, those were… From a long time ago, those were really popular with all the breeders and things like that. But those are really, really bad dog foods. Historically don’t have good ingredients. A lot of dog foods in general don’t have very good ingredients.
– Yeah, basically, they call them kennel rations and a lot of dog food is… The manufacturers will buy byproducts of other industries. So stuff that’d normally get thrown away. So when it says “poultry byproducts”, that could be anything. Any chicken, turkey, and it’s any part of the bird. So it could be feet and bones and…
– Beaks. And animal byproduct means any part of any animal.
– So it could be roadkill. They could be buying roadkill from the county.
– It sounds disgusting but you really wanna read the labels.
– Yep, read the labels. Educate yourself. So one of the worst foods is one called Kibbles ‘n Bits. And some of our younger audience won’t remember Kibbles ‘n Bits, but it was basically a dog running around singing, “Kibbles ‘n bits, kibbles ‘n bits.” And if you look at the food, it looks like Play-Doh, smells like formaldehyde and it just has an acrid, just nasty smell. And I jokingly call it Kibble ‘n Sh*ts because it comes out the way it goes in. And there’s almost zero nutritional value and it’s… I just can’t say enough about how bad Kibbles ‘n Bits are for your dog.
– So probably the one that we hear about most often and I’ve always had a little bit of an issue with it is foods like Science Diet. Science Diet is typically sold at veterinary offices. And a lot of vets prescribe Science Diet. I understand that foods like that that are prescribed by vets are currently under a lot of scrutiny because in order for something to be a prescription, it should legally have medication in it. And those types of prescribed dog foods don’t actually have any medication in them. So it’s really hard for them to qualify as a prescription. But you can’t buy them without a vet’s written word.
– Typically, those foods are high in corn and fillers and generally not very good for dogs at all. So there’s a lot to be said about foods that you buy from your vet. Vets aren’t even really… They’ll tell you themselves. They’re not really educated in nutrition or behavior. So don’t ask your vet about either of those things.
– And actually, the makers of Science Diet give a lot of money and spend a lot of money at veterinary colleges. So the vets are trained very early on with the Hill’s brothers and Science Diet and it really is shameless money making. They’re using inferior products and fear and the accreditation of a doctor’s prescription to make you think that you need it. There’s just better ways to medicate your dog.
– Yeah. Absolutely.
– With real food, whole food.
Those aren’t the worst food, there worst food like ol’ roy
I’ve been reading different articles about dog food. Blue buffalo was one that was listed that can cause heart problems along with other foods in the same price range. What is your view on this?
Is Wellness core a good dog food?
Well then what’s a good food that won’t starve me or my wallet.
Hills suck my dogs lost weight
My dog pukes almost every day from Alpo dry food…the worst!
Im dog sitting rn and they feed the corgi Purina. Should I say something??
Id like to add blue buffalo. Since bought by general mills (owns ol roy) pets have been getting sick and dying. Mine got sick aswell. These are customer reveiws https://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.html
One of the most telling that something is BS is someone says people need to educate themselves.
What did dogs eat before humans came along?
mu fog goid right niw us pedigree
I switched to Taste of the Wild and am happy with that brand.
Is blue buffalo good for dogs especially English bulldog
Love your channel. What do you think about halo and nulo
I bought Alpo only once. Alpo gave my APBT really bad shits when he was a puppy and it smelled really bad and it was unnatural amount of poop he had when he was small. Then i switch him to Pedigree High Protein and it gotten better in his stools but still bad. Then again switch to Rachel Ray and he loved that soo much but i wanted my dog to build more muscle and have that athletic build. Now i feed him Purina Pro Plan Sport which improved on him but ive been seeing 50/50 reviews about the Purina Pro Plan and i dont want to have doubts and i want the best dog for my APBTs. Anyone recommend anything else? Ps. I will not do Raw food due to being so costly
These morons tryna get people to buy 200 dollar bags of dog food so their mutts can be well fed. Not foolin me gravy trains done wonders for my pitbull . just add some hot water n boom . good
My dogs eat purina dog chow and alpo prime cuts :/
You guys don’t know what you talking about. That is just a matter of you opinion not fact.
I give my dog pedigree
I feed my saluki fresh liver ,kidney and chicken gizzards, he loves it!….any dry food has to be colour n free from preservatives and corn free, if you look you will find it!
Also will hurt your dog. Don’t bye it
My chiweenie is on hills prescription a/d.
How about blue diamond ?
We used to have dogs way back and all we had was corn. We fed them corn bread and corn meal mush. A lot of it. Those dogs did very well. More BS spouted off by "experts".
If you can’t afford a good dog food, means you can’t afford a dog and don’t deserve it. Dogs will eat whatever they are given, doesn’t mean it’s healthy. Excessive shedding is the biggest sign of poor diet, eating out of the garbage and begging for food is a close 2nd. You dog was designed to eat fresh meats and veggies, not dry corn.
I grew up in a household where my mom didn’t care at all about what food she gave the dog, and if they misbehaved she’d just yell and beat it. Even from a young age I knew this was wrong. At 14 I learned everything about positive reinforcement and how food affects their behavior, and tried my best to train my dogs, but my mom refused to buy them a good food and help train them. I took out every book I could from the library, and spent hours searching for more info on dogs. She was stuck in her ways, my oldest dog became super aggressive and bit 3 people, all because my mom refused to train him. She was all about animal rights and shit on other people for neglecting their dogs, but then she’d neglect her own?
Its been a few years now and my family dogs are all passed away now. I just want to help so many dogs because I grew up seeing all that neglect. Please take care of your pets, train and feed them properly.
They taste alright to me.
Be careful with grain free. There was a call back for heart disease
I’m offended I’ve been feeding my dog pedigree for a year and he’s fine people are so picky at the end of the day there dogs and it does the job for my dog if there’s corn in there food so what it’s dog food and then this fat dude sais “oh it has corn it’s like eating Taco Bell every day”lol this is hilarious what’s wrong with Taco Bell?this is hilarious you guys of your buying what ever dog your buying to feed your dog just make sure it’s not the gravy train.thats it.either than that pedigree is fine.its a good dog food.
I keep trying to get my grandma to stop buying that alpo crap we had him on blue buffalo he should have stayed on blue buffalo
Pedigree is one of the best, sorry but I have raised plenty of dogs on it and health and stamina not a problem.
My English Cream Retriever died at 5 from cancer. He ate Beneful.
I told my “I’ve switched to Pedigree because I simply can not afford Blue Buffalo anymore” his response was “I like Pedigree”. I just switched to Beneful thinking it was healthier but 2 bags and my dog has put in weight. I just watched a 2 minute videos of a veterinarian telling exactly what to look for . Pretty sure we’re going back to Pedigree.
I’m Usda yes bi products is chicken parts
I work at a grocery store alot of people buy that dry Alpo!!!!
Is blue buffalo good?
You all are full of crap. Just your opinions.
Well that’s pretty much everything. What are you suppose to feed them?